Wednesday, April 9, 2008

AADSAS: Personal Essay

I was looking through my files and I don't think this was my final draft but it comes pretty close to what I submitted to AADSAS.

-----------------
My choice to pursue dentistry as a profession, unlike some, did not originate as a childhood fantasy. Neither do I have any immediate relatives that are dentists. For me, the choice of dentistry has recently come after much self-examination, and as a result of yearning to find a career that fits who I am and what I feel is important.

First of all, I grew up in a unique home environment that had a profound impact on who I am today. My brother Chris, before he died at the age of 17, had a rare genetic disease called Metachromatic Leukodystrophy, which left him completely incapacitated. I grew up contributing on a daily basis to the constant care that he required. It was very difficult for my family, but somehow difficult things can strengthen a person. It strengthened me by teaching me to think of others before myself and to look at life with gratitude. I also learned that a sense of humor can get you through just about anything.


One thing that I learned when I was 19 years old on a two year church mission in Mexico, was that through service I really can help people to change their lives for the better. For the past three years I have been serving as a volunteer Choir director at my church. Through my love of music and love of people I have helped it to grow from ground zero to an impressive professional sounding choir. This has helped me realize that making positive changes in the world around me is the most satisfying thing I can do with my life.


Furthermore, my father always taught me that there is no excuse for mediocrity, but rather that I should be committed to excellence. So I have learned to challenge myself both physically and intellectually and to rise above the obstacles of life. As a highlight, because of my determination and commitment to excellence I became an Eagle Scout, received first place in a local oil painting competition, graduated in the top ten of my class in high school, placed in the top four at state cross-country championships, became appointed leader over 300 missionaries on my mission, and recently graduated from Brigham Young University.


My experience at BYU has been both difficult and rewarding. Because I am married with three children I have had to work twenty to thirty hours a week on top of my full-time studies in order to provide for my family. It was difficult and at times I didn’t know how to make ends meet. Moreover, there were many sleepless nights spent caring for the children. Because of my time constraints and responsibilities I did not achieve all the grades that I was capable of. However, my determination and my love for learning kept me to the task, and despite the hardships, I was able to move forward each day, learn to find balance, and manage my time effectively.


I am currently volunteering as a research assistant in systematic entomology with Dr. C. Riley Nelson, a professor of Biology at BYU. Much of my time is spent working with insects on a microscopic scale. This has helped me to become proficient in working with my hands, focus on objects of fine detail, and develop a fascination with the diversity of life.


Over the past year and a half I have spent 98 total hours conversing with and observing 6 different dentists and 2 dental technicians in an effort to develop an awareness of the dental profession. I have found this to be a very positive and enlightening experience. I also am scheduled to go on a 10-day dental service trip this summer to Mexico City, where we will be providing free dental services and aid to homeless children. I will be serving as a dental assistant and translator.


I have chosen to be a dentist because of the career’s scientific, artistic, academic, and altruistic possibilities. These are all things that for me make dentistry an exciting career to be involved in. It is the perfect blend of what I want to accomplish in the world.

No comments: