Wednesday, April 9, 2008

ASDOH Admission Essays.

I wrote the following essays as part of the secondary application to the Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health. I think if I had to do it all over again...I probably would change a few things grammatically, but I feel like at the heart of these two essays you can see my sincerity and passion for serving others and for making a difference in the world. Perhaps you may find these essays useful in some way.

Why did you participate in the volunteer activities you listed in the Clinical, Volunteer and Community Service section? What did you gain from participating in these activities?
(Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

The most life changing volunteer experience that I have had was serving a two-year mission to Mexico. My Dad and older brother served missions and I went because I found myself wanting to have some of the same experiences they had shared with me. I remember one day when I had been there for about three months I woke up really questioning why I was there. That day I was suffering from severe depression. I had never felt such compound emotions in my entire life. The culture shock and the struggle to learn Spanish were becoming overwhelmingly difficult. However, my companion set me down and offered encouragement and I remember praying to at least have the power to step out the door. Eventually, I got dressed and ventured out to work. In contrast, at the end of the day on the way home, I felt like I could fly. My emotional state had turned a full 180 degrees. That’s when I realized why I was there. I had spent the whole day seeing how I could bring a ray of hope to others that had far greater trials than my own. There were some who were living in scrap metal houses with nothing to eat and no clothing for their little ones. Others suffered from abuse and addiction. Suddenly, all my worries faded away and I realized that I just needed to forget myself and get to work. I learned of the joy that comes from serving others and helping them transform their lives for the better.

Another important experience that I had was serving for two weeks on a dental mission at a homeless shelter in Mexico City. I was excited to be able to serve in a capacity that would provide insight of how I can affect the lives of others as a dentist. The first day at the shelter there were two little four year old girls named Miridiana and Blanca who just came up and started hugging my leg. I began to realize that these children weren’t just starved of hunger, but also of attention and love. It was good to know that we were helping them. More than just fixing their teeth I felt like we were providing a positive role model for them and giving them the attention that would help them know that society is not always filled with rejection.

I was also excited because I went there with the expectation that I was going to interpret Spanish for the dentists and that I would be able to assist in the process, but I actually got to do a lot more than that. By the end of the week I had done twenty fillings, two extractions, five injections, an exam, and a large number of cleanings. This became a priceless experience for me. Until then I had always wondered what I would feel like as a dentist. Now I feel empowered to know that dentistry is a career that I can enjoy.

Why do you want to attend ASDOH?
(Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

I chose ASDOH on the basis of several different factors. First of all, some time ago I attended a presentation at my school from a visiting ASDOH representative and I remember being impressed with the program and facilities. Also after spending time in Mexico on a two-week dental mission, I realized that I want to dedicate myself to providing care for the underserved, which I understand is in line with the opportunities at ASDOH. I also understand that there is a high emphasis on leadership in the community. My father has always been very involved in the community in my hometown and has urged me to do the same in my career. It has become something that is important to me and I look forward to receiving the guidance that ASDOH provides. These factors, combined with the demographics of the school have played a central role in my motivation for choosing ASDOH.

1 comment:

Elizabeth J. Neal said...

Please continue this great work and I look forward to more of your awesome blog posts. Invisalign Rushden